Conviva Acquired Delmondo in November of 2018 and has become Conviva Social Insights.
IGTV is Instagram’s new app for watching long-form, vertical video. Anyone can create videos, and they start playing the second you pull up the app. These videos can be a lot longer than your Instagram Videos and Stories, and it couldn’t have come at a better time. Since we started measuring Instagram Videos and Stories last summer, we know people have an appetite for longer video on IG.
Not only has the number of stories and Videos published from top brands and publishers increased, we have also observed a number of behaviors that show signs people crave longer videos now on their phone:
- Increased video carousels – Instagram’s unit for photo albums was opened up to video in 2017. Despite IG not reporting view counts on these, we still see people using them daily to include multiple videos in a single post.
- Increased length of Stories – On average we’ve seen the length of stories on top publisher accounts increase from 5-10 to now more than 20+
- Increased use of Highlights – when Instagram started slowing users to highlight story content beyond the initial 24 hours, we instantly saw creative users turn this into an opportunity to get additional viewership on their best vertical videos.
The important thing to know is IGTV is for longer, more evergreen content, and is a true destination for mobile video. Instagram Stories are “live-ish” and told over a 24-hour period, perfect for showing people the behind-the-scenes or as a promotional tool to get people interested where they can swipe through into a longer experience on IGTV. With that said, we wanted to put together a brief guide on how you can start measuring performance of your videos today.
How to Measure the Success of Your IGTV Videos
IGTV comes included with analytics out of the box, which is really helpful for anyone wanting to use data to produce better videos.
Here are the metrics they provide:
- Views: The number of views of a post or account (view = 3seconds)
- Engagements: Likes +Comments
- Audience retention: The percentage of all views who completed your IGTV video
- Audience Retention graph: The percentage of views of your video at each moment, expressed as a percentage of all views. The drop-off graph makes it really easy to see at what point people are swiping off of your video. If they’re dropping off quickly maybe your content isn’t grabbing their attention and you need to switch it up, or bring in some more exciting elements earlier on.
How to find IGTV Analytics
You can find them in the app by clicking on the “…” button beside the like, comment, and share buttons on your IGTV video. Here you’ll find the option to view insights.
When you click on “View Insights” you’ll see a screen that looks like this:
Use data to inform your creative, and help identify quickly what types of content is engaging users on IGTV. As more and more people start learning the platform, you can expect the amount of content to increase, so using insights from day 1 will help to establish a benchmark that you can use to measure from as IGTV grows.
Looking for a software that will bring in all your cross-platform views and engagements, including Instagram, Stories and IGTV? Set up for a trial of Conviva Social Insights.
Want to take your Instagram and social strategy to the next level? Trial Conviva Social Insights for 30-days free.
TikTok® is this year’s hot app. While you may have only heard about TikTok® recently, it has been the most downloaded app in the iOS app store in 5 of the last 6 quarters. It’s not just popular with the kids either, dozens of brands are jumping on the short-form video app as well. The NFL recently announced a multi-year partnership with the platform and the NBA has gained over 5.5 million followers on their…Read more ›
The Kansas City Chiefs have had a whirlwind season. After nearly losing their quarterback early in the season, they battled back to clinch a playoff spot and a first round buy among a league of incredibly tough competitors. And the players on the field aren’t the only ones excelling. The Chiefs’ social media team has been topping the charts in nearly every category this season, often growing significantly faster than the league average. We talked…Read more ›