A Quick Look Back to Set the Stage
The Highly Anticipated Game One Results
- Total streams: Up 55%
- Peak traffic: Up 127%
- Unique Devices/Applications Used to Stream: Up 57%
- Minutes per Unique: Up 65%
- Bitrate for original broadcasters improved to over 6Mbps while vMVPDs saw 4-5Mbps — this could be due to more mobile / smaller screen viewing.
- Rebuffering improved, showing a drop from anywhere between 50-75% (depending on provider) – this is a huge improvement in streaming quality and a major factor in the increased viewing time seen above!
- Video start time remained roughly the same, ranging from 3-5 seconds spent waiting before the viewer saw the first frame of the video.
What we Learned After Game Two
With so many options for fans to watch these games live and with the ever–growing popularity of the NBA, we expect to see overall viewership up — even though there might be ups and downs across the various viewing options. The best approach is to not focus on any one distribution channel, but rather to measure them all.